family violence and your tenancy

If you live in rental housing and have been affected by family violence (sometimes called domestic violence), see the family violence protection TENANCY KIT ( for information about:

  • Changing the locks
  • Getting an intervention order
  • Staying in the rental property
  • Leaving the rental property
  • Applying to VCAT (including sample applications)
  • Public housing tenants


Also see the Consumer Affairs Victoria website for information on:
Changing the rental arrangement in violent situations
Changing the locks



Tenants Victoria acknowledges the support of the Victorian Government.