public housing

Information for public housing tenants in Victoria.

The department that manages public housing in Victoria is Department of Health & Human Services (DHHS).
The landlord for public housing tenants is the Director of Housing.
The law is the same for public housing tenants and private residential tenants, but some of the steps are different.


Applying for public housing [pdf 129KB]

Appealing a public housing decision [pdf 85KB]

Avoiding public housing maintenance charges [pdf 85KB]

Public housing rents

Public housing repairs [pdf 86KB]

Public housing repairs – a step-by-step guide [pdf 129KB]

Public housing tenants’ handbook [pdf 998KB]


need more help?

For free and confidential information and basic advice call us on the Public Housing Tenants Help Line.

More info Victorian Government’s website for public housing tenants.
Appeals Appealing a public housing decision (Housing website).
Complaints Making a complaint (DHHS website).


The Tenants Union of Victoria acknowledges the support of the Victorian Government.