rooming houses

Information for rooming house residents in Victoria.

Breach of Duty Notices


Notice to Vacate

Rooming House Residents’ Handbook

Shared Room Rights


Before you sign, pay or move in, check if the rooming house is registered:

Public register of rooming houses (Consumer Affairs Victoria website)

Check if the rooming house meets minimum standards:

Minimum standards in rooming houses (Consumer Affairs Victoria website)

It’s a good idea to sign a written agreement when you move into a rooming house.

This standard agreement includes the main legal rights and duties, what the resident must do and what the owner must do:
Rooming house residency agreement (Consumer Affairs Victoria website)

need more help?

If you live in a rooming house and you need information or advice call us on 9411 1444 and ask to speak to the Outreach team. Or leave a message and someone from the Outreach team will call you back.
Our service is closed weekends and public holidays.


Tenants Victoria acknowledges the support of the Victorian Government.