advice for tenants

All our services are free and in high demand, and although our advisors will assist as many people as possible, please be aware that there can often be a long wait and we can’t guarantee that we can assist everyone who contacts us.

other tenancy services

Consumer Affairs Victoria
Information and advice to tenants, co-tenants and landlords. Phone 1300 55 81 81

Tenancy Plus (formerly known as SHASP)
Assistance for tenants in social housing.

Tenancy Assistance and Advocacy Program (TAAP)
Assistance for tenants in private rental housing, (including privately operated rooming houses and caravan parks), who are in significant financial hardship or affected by family violence.



Our admin staff cannot give you advice about renting. If you need advice see advice for tenants.

call: 03 9411 1444

fax: 03 9416 0513


postal address: PO Box 234, Fitzroy VIC 3065
street address: 55 Johnston Street Fitzroy VIC
Tenants Victoria - Location View on Google Maps [Melway ref: 2C A7]

Our service is closed weekends and public holidays.


Our fact sheets are available online as webpages and PDFs at advice.
Tenants and organisations are welcome to place an order for printed copies.
Please complete an order form, then mail or fax it to us:

Publications Order Form [November 2017, pdf 32kb]



If you have a complaint about the service you received from us, see the Tenants Victoria Legal Service complaints policy and procedure.


We value your opinion. If you have any suggestions, compliments or concerns about our publications, website or anything else please send us your feedback.


Tenants Victoria acknowledges the support of the Victorian Government.